Before traveling, know which driving permits you’ll need to ensure you’re always covered while driving overseas.

U.S. License & Motorcycle Endorsement
To be able to apply for a SETAF license in Italy, you must first have a valid U.S. driver’s license. To make life easier, renew your driver’s license before you PCS if its expiration date falls within your timeline overseas. To be granted permission to drive a motorcycle overseas, Soldiers need a MFC Certificate and motorcycle endorsement on their U.S. license while dependents only require the endorsement. You will not be able get a U.S. motorcycle endorsement once overseas.
International Driving
Outside of Italy, many countries will not recognize a U.S. or SETAF license. To drive through neighboring countries, you will need to purchase either:
  • International Driving Permit ($20, renewed yearly): At least 4 weeks before traveling, apply by mail or in person at AAA or AATA (the 2 agencies authorized by the State Department to issue IDPs).
  • Italian Driver’s License (~216€, valid for 10 years): Apply once you arrive in Italy.
SETAF Driver’s License
To drive in Italy, all Soldiers and Command Sponsored dependents are required to have a SETAF license. A SETAF license is not valid without a valid U.S. license. You must carry your U.S. license with your SETAF license. Only SETAF license holders are authorized to drive a SETAF registered vehicle. SETAF licenses are only valid in NATO countries. However, not all NATO countries recognize SETAF licenses. So if you plan on traveling outside of Italy, getting an IDP or Italian driver’s license is a good idea. See the USAG Italy’s Drivers Testing Office  for details. Learn more about driving overseas, including drivers training and testing, vehicle registration, insurance, and more!

General Info

 NIPR Note


We Accept

american express
31 FSS

31st Force Support Squadron
"One Force, One Fight! All Day, All Night!" Protection Status ©