31FW improving the First 31 minutes, hours, & days before, upon & after arrival
When to Book Flights
Once you receive travel orders, contact the nearest Traffic Management Office (TMO). All official travel will be arranged by TMO in accordance with DoD order of precedence. Additional travel information can be found on Defense Traffic Management Office website.
Concurrent Travel Orders
Dependent(s) must meet the following 2 conditions in order to travel with the sponsor:
Otherwise, DoD members will travel unaccompanied and dependents will follow at a later date. If dependent travel will be delayed beyond 60 days, refer to Military Personnel Flight for active duty or AFPC for civilians to have your PCS orders amended.
Deferred Travel Orders
Paying for Flights
Individually Billed Account (IBA)
With an IBA, DoD member will, use a Government Travel Card (GTC) to pay for flight plans made at the Commercial Travel Office (CTO). The DoD member will then claim reimbursement by filling out a travel voucher during in-processing in Italy.
NOTE: CTO can book flights to/from alternate ports but you must pay any costs above your travel entitlement.
Centrally Billed Account (CBA)
Use of a Centrally Billed Account (CBA) is authorized when the traveler meets the IBA exemption criteria in the Government Travel Card Regulation DoDI 5154.31, Volume 4, paragraphs 040601 and 040602. Additionally, the use of CBA should be stated on the orders.
NOTE: All authorized travel must go through TMO for review prior to going to CTO.
Booking Flight & Ticketing Process
All travel arrangements must be made through the Traffic Management Office (TMO) at your losing duty station.
- Determine your desired travel dates. Travel is from the airport nearest to your losing duty station (or location on orders) to the port of debarkation (arrival airport) on orders.
TIP: Traveling with Pets? Pre-plan before going to Commercial Travel Office (CTO)
- Visit or contact your CTO (e.g. CWT, Sato Travel) with:
- 2 copies of orders with dependents listed
- Dependent No-Fee Passports with Italian Visas
- Date of Birth (DOB) for each passenger
NOTE: Infants will be given their own seat
- Provide the CTO with an email and point of contact
- The CTO will email your reservation (It is not a ticket)
Preparing for Flight Day
Ask your airline if you can carry certain childcare items onto the plane (i.e. strollers, pack-n-plays, and car seats)
- Hand-carry medical, dental, and school records
- Hand-carry important family documents
- Hand-carry pet documentation, pet food and supplies
- Ensure you have contact info for your overseas sponsor, hotel, etc.
- Sign up for free call/message apps on phone/tablet
- Bring an International adapters (great for overseas layovers)
Arriving in Italy
If you are booking the shuttle from abroad please fill out all travel information below and send back to
- Notify ITT ASAP of any changes to travel plans via email:
- Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and GTC can be used for payment; GTC is reimbursable on travel voucher
- It takes approximately 45 minutes to go through customs, schedule the shuttle accordingly
- Pets: Allow an additional 1 hour minimum to clear customs, schedule shuttle accordingly
- 24/7 service available
- NOTE: The ITT Patriot Shuttle can transport to on or off base destinations.
Before Arrival Topics
- First 31 PCS Start
- Getting Started
- Command Sponsorship
- EFMP Screening
- Passports & Visas
- Book Lodging
- Book Travel
- Traveling with Pets
- Shipping Household Goods
- Shipping Vehicle
- Set Up Overseas P.O. Box
- Child Care & Youth Programs Prep
- School Registration Prep
- Legal Services
- Cell Phones & Keeping in Touch
- Credit Cards