Codice Fiscale & Soggiorno
31FW improving the First 31 minutes, hours, & days before, upon & after arrival
Permit of Stay (Permesso di Soggiorno)
To stay longer than the tourist time frame, which is 90 days, each sponsored dependent must obtain the following:
- To enter Italy: Requires no-fee passport with Italian Missione Visa
- To stay in Italy: Codice Fiscale and Soggiorno (both issued after arrival)
Official Passport and Visa Required
- It is absolutely essential that prior to leaving your current assignment each sponsored dependent must have the mandatory required no-fee official passport that contains an Italian Missione Visa.
- If the passport agent at your losing base gives you any different guidance, it is in error and they must refer to the DoD Foreign Clearance Guide.
- DoD members and dependents cannot get a visa in Italy.
- Without a visa, you cannot get a Soggiorno.
- Without a Soggiorno, you cannot stay longer than 90 days.
- Without a no-fee passport and visa, dependents must fly home at their expense to obtain them.
DO NOT LEAVE THE U.S. Without an Official No-Fee Passport and Visa!
DO NOT ENTER ITALY until the start date of your Visa
What is a Codice Fiscale?
A Codice Fiscale is like an Italian Social Security number. It allows you to sign up for services on the Italian economy like registering kids for Italian schools, signing up for sports, setting up utilities/internet and starting cell phone service.
How do you get one?
DoD members will receive a Codice Fiscale application at Wyvern Welcome for themselves and their sponsored dependents.
Bring copy of ID cards, no-fee passports, and fill out the form. Housing will collect completed applications/forms during Wyvern Welcome Housing Briefing, and will delivery to the Italian Government issuing Agency. Codice Fiscale will be ready for pick up the following week on Friday afternoon at Housing Office.
What is a Soggiorno?
A Soggiorno Permit is an authorization from the Italian Government granting non-military members and civilian employee's not belonging to the EU permission to stay in the country for more than 90 days. The Soggiorno Permit takes the place of the Visa. You MUST report within 8 working days of entry to the Local Foreign Office Police (QUESTURA). This is done on base with the Soggiorno Liaisons as soon as you receive your Codice Fiscale. Codice Fiscale is required for everyone 18 years of age and older.
You receive your Codice Fiscale a week after you have attended Wyvern Welcome. On rare occasions due to travel, your time on station will already be more than 8 days. This is fine, but it is essential to directly come into our office as soon as you receive your Codice Fiscale. Do not delay in applying for a Soggiorno.
What is the application process?
At the Wyvern Welcome, representatives from the Soggiorno Office will provide a application and instructions for filling it out correctly. They will walk you through the process one-on-one during walk-ins during normal business hours.
What documents are needed?
- Completed Application
- All Passports with Valid Visa
- Codice Fiscale (18+ years old only)
- Copy Of Orders With Dependent(S) Listed
- All Applicants Must Be Present To Take Pictures
Immediately after picking up your Codice Fiscale from the Housing Office, bring in the documents listed above to the Soggiorno Office; an appointment isn’t required. Once all documents are received, you will get an appointment for the next available Thursday, to meet with the Questura (Polizia member). Everyone applying must be present.
At the Questura appointment you will have a face-to-face interview with the Questura and will be issued a receipt with a pick up date. Everyone applying must be present.
The Soggiorno will be available approximately 4 weeks after your Thursday appointment. The pick-up date will be announced on the day of your appointment and will also be written on the back of your receipt.
Soggiorno Office Office Hours:
Mon-Wed & Fri: 7:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Mon-Fri Closed: Noon – 1 p.m.
Thurs: No walk-in customers
Upon Arrival Topics
- First 31 PCS Start
- Transport from the Airport
- Wyvern Welcome & In-Processing
- Travel Allowance
- Codice Fiscale & Soggiorno
- Child & Youth Programs Registration
- School Registration
- Pet Registration
- Driving Overseas
- Buying & Renting a Car
- Vehicle Registration
- Fuel Card
- Medical, Dental & Eye Care
- Mental Health, Family Advocacy, & Health Promotions
- Pregnancy in Italy
- Finding a Home
- Overseas Electricity
- Bills Banks & Exchange Rates
- Areas of Base