AFI Driver’s License
AFI stands for “Armed Forces in Italy” that lets military and local police agencies know that you are authorized to operate vehicles registered in the AFI system. Airmen and dependents must have an AFI license to register & drive an AFI registered vehicle in Italy (military member must complete the AFI license process before dependents can be issued). An AFI license is not valid without a valid driver’s license so you must carry both with you at all times and only AFI license holders are authorized to drive an AFI registered vehicle.
Driving a Motorcycle
To drive a motorcycle overseas, Airmen need a Motorcycle Safety Course Certificate and U.S. driver’s license motorcycle endorsement while dependents only need the U.S. driver’s license motorcycle endorsement. Individuals ages 18 to 24 can only operate Motorcycles up to 35 kilowatt output (approx. 46.6 horsepower) unless member can show proof they have possessed a motorcycle endorsement for over two or more years prior to registration.
Driving Outside of Host Nation
AFI driver’s licenses are only valid in Italy. So if you plan to travel outside of Italy, you’ll need an International Driving Permit and the U.S. Department of State authorizes only two agencies to issue them:
AFI License: Application Process/Requirements
Age Requirements: Be 18 years of age or older with a valid driver’s license.
Submit application online: Aviano SharePoint Site: SFS Pass and Registration
- Obtain study guide and other information to driving in Italy and apply for AFI License by using the SharePoint link above. Test study material can also be found on the Aviano mobile App.
- Take online AFI License test. The test contains 50 questions and is accessible on government, home computer or mobile phone. You can only miss 5 questions. Once test is completed, review missed questions to obtain score.
- Test Link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1HpkyHzy0-o-k2Gb68ckAU2_Qs0gmNEvVt4ry6LY-pxM/edit
- If you score less than a 45 you will have to wait the following times to re-take the AFI Test:
- 1st Failure - minimum of 24 hours wait
- 2nd Failure - minimum of 14 day wait
- 3rd Failure - minimum of 60 day wait
- Attend Traffic Safety Briefing
- Tuesday Afternoons During Right Start (check with AFRC for location)
- Contact the Wing Safety Office with questions at DSN: 314 632-4817 or 31FW.SEG@us.af.mil
- IMPORTANT: Ensure that you have signed in on the Traffic Safety briefing roster or you WILL NOT receive credit to obtain an AFI license.
- Submit NATO AFI Driver's License Application by walk-in or SharePoint application. There will be a 48-hour processing period after all requirements are met.
- Aviano SharePoint Site: SFS Pass and Registration
- The following are required to be turned in at once:
- NATO AFI Driver's License Application
- Copy of Stateside Driver's License (front and back)
- Copy of PCS Orders
Check the expiration date of your current driver’s license before you leave the states!
Toll Payment Methods
- Enter Autostrada [Highway]: Push red button. Take ticket.
- Exit Autostrada: Insert ticket. Place required change in bucket or insert bills [Euros only]. The gate will lift.
- Card: Debit, Credit, or Via Card [Pre-paid toll card]
- Same process as above, but with card.
- Buy Via Cards at Punto Blu points, tobacco shops, toll booth operators, Autogrills, or highway gas stations.
NOTE: Chip cards present the fewest issues at booths.
- Telepass: Device attaches to window and debits your account when you drive through a Telepass lane.
- Enter Autostrada: Camera scans window device.
- Exit Autostrada: Camera scans window device. When the camera validates device and the light is green, you can go.
Calculate Italian Autostrada Fees
Visit the Autostrada website to estimate tolls. In far left column, input your departure and arrival city and submit.
Where to Buy a Telepass
Go to http://www.telepass.com/ to create an account. Toll fees are automatically debited from your account. Fees may apply.
NOTE: Tolls are commonly used here in Italy on the Autostrada. It is recommended you always carry euro as payment. Sometimes the card readers don’t work in the machines. There is an option on the machine to change the language as well.