Passport Office

  • FSS Event Calendar

  •  General

    We Provide the Following

    Passports (tourist, no-fee, official, diplomatic) for military, DoD civilians, and dependents of military & DoD civilians (not contractors).

    • Visas for official travel for military & DoD civilians & their dependents (not for tourist travel)
    • SSN cards for newborns, replacement, and name changes
    • Consular Report of Birth Abroad for newborns
  •  Important Info

    Important Passport & Visa Info

    There has been an increase in members arriving at bases in Italy without the required no-fee or official passports containing Italian mission visas. This results in many problems for the family. Use the following information to help you and your family have a successful start to your tour here at Aviano.

    Preparing for Your PCS

    What can I do to prepare well for my PSC?

    As you prepare for your PCS, if you are active duty military bringing dependents or are a DoD civilian (with or without dependents), it is absolutely essential that *prior* to leaving your current assignment each member have the mandatory required no-fee or official passport that contains an Italian Missione Visa! If the passport agent at losing base gives you any different guidance, it is in error and they must refer to the DoD Foreign Clearance Guide. A tourist passport CANNOT be used in place of the no-fee passport.

    What will happen if I don't have the equired documents are not in-hand?

    If the required documents are not in-hand *prior* to departure and subsequent arrival in Italy, members will not permitted to enter Italy or will be subject to deportation should they somehow arrive without them. U.S. Passport Agents in Italy cannot process Italian mission visa applications. NOTE: EU citizens do not require a visa.

    What is the difference btweeen No-fee & Official Passports?

    Blue no-fee passports are issued to dependents of military members, maroon official passports are issued to DoD civilians and their dependents. To distinguish a blue no-fee passport from a blue tourist passport, the no-fee has the following statement in the back: “This passport is valid only for use in connection with the bearer’s residence abroad as a dependent of a member of the American military or naval forces on active duty outside the United States.” No-Fee Passports are used for official travel of dependents, while Tourist Passports are used for all leave-type and leisure travel.

    What should DoD Civilians & their dependents do to prepare?

    All DoD Civilians and their dependents must apply for their visas through the Passport Matters Office in Crystal City, VA and receive the Missione Visa from the Italian Embassy in Washington D.C. Work with the passport agent at the losing base to apply for the visa.

    What if Italy is a Follow-On Assignment?

    If the Active Duty Member is on an unaccompanied tour and has Italy as a follow-on assignment the dependents still must have the visas for their dependents no-fee passports prior to their arrival in Italy. Work with the passport agent at your unaccompanied location for the specific requirements for how and where your dependents should apply for the visas at their designated location in the U.S.

    Resulting Problems

    Not having the Italian Missione Visa in the proper passport results in the following problems:

    Not covered by the SOFA Agreement

    Members are not covered by the SOFA Agreement and are only legally allowed to be in Italy for 90 days as a “tourist.” They then must exit Italy, obtain the visa, and reenter lawfully.

    Cannot obtain a Codice Fiscale

    Members cannot obtain a Codice Fiscale (similar to an American social security number). Without this, members cannot set up an account with Banca Popolare (the on-base Italian bank) to pay rent, phone bills, or utilities, they cannot register vehicles, and they cannot establish a phone contract.

    Cannot obtain a Soggiorno

    Members cannot obtain a Soggiorno, which is an authorization permit issued by the Italian government to reside in Italy more than 90 days. Without a Soggiorno, members cannot travel on AMC flights to/from base and cannot apply for Non-Appropriated or Appropriated fund jobs.

  •  Useful Info

    Download Documents

    Save time by downloading and completing all the required documents in advance.

     Forms & Information

    Apply On-line

    The US Department of State Passport Website.

  •  Contact

     Flightline Bldg. 1413 Rm 142
     DSN 632-5404 (option 5)
    COMM 011-39-0434-30-5404 (option 5)

     Click here for Base Map

Latest Events

Hours of Operation

By Appointment

Walk-In Hours
Wed - Fri • 10:00 am-12:00 pm, 1:00-3:00 pm
Office closes at 12:00 pm every third week of Thursday due to mandatory training.
Sat, Sun, US Holidays, & Goal Days • Closed

General Info

 NIPR Note


We Accept

american express
31 FSS

31st Force Support Squadron
"One Force, One Fight! All Day, All Night!" Protection Status © 2019