- Registration of Privately Owned Animals (POA) by military DoD members stationed at Aviano must be completed within 14 days of arrival.
- To register your pet contact the Aviano Veterinary Clinic
- pdf CLICK HERE (316 KB) to download registration form
Aviano Veterinary Treatment Facility
Via Pordenone Bldg. 1410
0434-30-8485 or DSN 632-8485
Congratulations on your new puppy or kitten!
Now, how to provide the best life for your new family member to help decrease the chances the little one will get sick:
CLICK HERE for New Puppy/Kitten Exam Information
TRAVELING WITH PETS
As the weather warms up and you head outdoors, you may want to bring your pets along. They are a part of the family, right? People have procedures to follow when traveling overseas, and your pets have some too. Italy and the EU have special rules regarding ownership and transportation of pets, many that are stricter than in the US. These rules are in place to keep your pets safe.
According to Italian Law 20/2012 and Italian Highway Code, Article 169: It is forbidden to transport an animal in any way that could be an impediment or danger to driving. Animals are to be kept in a special cage/container or in the rear compartment to the driver's seat specially divided by a net or other similar suitable means.
Three main ways to transport a pet in a car that will not impede the driver:
- Hard Kennel
- Safety Belt – harness that attaches to the seat belt
- Dividing Net – separates your pet from the driver
This law applies to driving both off and on base. If you need to bring your pet onto base for a veterinary appointment, your pet must be restrained. The Italian and US Security Forces are authorized to stop motorists from entering base if animals are not secured properly. If found in violation, the Carabinieri can fine you up to 300 euros.
You need a passport to travel and your pet needs one too. You’ll need a EU Pet Passport from the Aviano Veterinary Clinic. If your travels are by road, air, or track, for a day hike or a weeklong vacation, you are required to show the proper paperwork to officials upon request. The Aviano Veterinary Clinic www.31fss.com/veterinary-clinic has all the forms. Contact them to get the process started at DSN 632-8485; Commercial +39 0434-30-8485
Also remember when walking a dog in a public area, make sure that large dogs are walked only by individuals older than 18 years old and the dog must be kept on a leash shorter than 5 feet in length. The owner must also have a muzzle with them and have a way to collect and dispose of the dog’s feces.
Read more about the rules for owning and travelling with your pet at:
- Refer Pet Ownership AFI 48-101
- Refer to Disease Control AFI 48-105
If you have any questions please contact the Aviano vet clinic for assistance.
- The Aviano Veterinary Treatment Facility (VTF) is not an emergency clinic and doesn’t provide after-hours care.
- In order to receive timely after-hours emergency care, view Critical Care Veterinarians in the Aviano Region.
Driving within the EU may require a pet passport.
CLICK HERE to download instructions provided by your Aviano Veterinary Clinic. Contact them to get the process started.
Italian Dog Laws
Check out Aviano Vet Clinic “Useful Forms” at www.31fss.com/veterinary-clinic
- Groomers, Boarding, Hotels & Shipping Resources
- Canine Wellness Packages
- Feline Wellness Packages
- Reducing Pet Obesity