Shipping Household Goods (HHG)
31FW improving the First 31 minutes, hours, & days before, upon & after arrival
Traffic Management Office
Capt A. Barbarisi
Area F, Flight Line, Bldg 1413
Consolidated Support Center
Aviano AB, APO, AE 09602
Phone (DSN): 314-632-1709/6017
Sat & Sun: Closed
What are you allowed to bring?
Your PCS orders authorizes you to ship your Household Goods (HHG) at the government’s expense. There is a weight limit based on your rank and family status.
You can check your weight allowances and estimate the weight of your HHG before you start to setup your move. Any overages on your approved weight will be your financial responsibility, so make sure to stay within your authorized weight allowance. Note: Shipment of Alcoholic beverages (liquors/wines) are limited to 1 liter per adult person; Shipping of any kind of weapon is prohibited; Personnel assigned to Aviano AB are NOT authorized shipment of any Off-Road vehicle. Review Pass and Registration Motorcycle requirements before attemting to ship.
Arranging Household Good Shipments
Once you receive your orders, you should begin to plan what items you will take in your unaccompanied baggage, in your HHG shipment and what might need to go into permanent storage.
Italian homes are not as small as you would expect, but most do not have closets or much storage space. Consider putting large appliances in government storage since the Air Force lends families major appliances (depending on availability) once in Italy.
Start an Inventory List
Valuable Household Goods: If it is not listed specifically on your mover’s inventory form, it does not exist. Before packing day, create an inventory of all valuable household goods listing the item, brand, model and serial number. Ensure the moving company includes your valuable items list on their inventory forms before you sign off on the sheet.
HHG Video & Pictures: State the date in videos or show the date in photos.
Packing Day: Organize valuable items in one area and explain that all of those items must be listed on inventory sheets in order for you to sign off on your paperwork. List any damage done to your home or property during packing before signing paperwork.
TIP: Put all the items that you do not want packed up in a separate bedroom or closet.
Personally Procured Move (PPM)
Members can drive a portion of their HHG or Mail some items to their overseas APO Box before arriving. Initiate PPM shipment with your local TMO before driving or mailing your HHG. Members driving must obtain certified weight tickets showing full, and empty weight. Submit postal receipt or weight tickets and your PPM documents with a copy of your Orders to Aviano TMO to initiate reimbursement. Your claims will not be submitted untill all HHG/UB has been delivered. Total reimbursement will not exceed the Government Constructed Cost (GCC).
Special HHG Considerations:
- Airmen in Dorms: Allotted 500 pounds Unaccompanied Baggage (UB) or 10% Joint Federal Travel Regulations (JFTR) weight allowance.
- Deferred Dependents: Orders must reflect delayed reporting of dependents with physical address, and Aviano Housing Memo required to ship family HHG.
- “All Others Tour”: Family members remaining in U.S. may store/ship goods to a new location if DoD member is authorized to move dependents from permanent duty station to new location on orders.
- Newlyweds: To ship from additional location beyond a 50 mile radius of duty station, orders must reflect spouse physical address or an amendment to orders must be obtained to reflect HHG location.
- Shipments After Arrival: You are allowed HHG shipment if you have 12 months left on tour, and did not ship any HHG.
Service Member and/or Spouse Pro-Gear
Pro-gear is work-related equipment. It must be completely separated from the rest of your items so that they can be packed, marked and weighed separately. These items are not included in the total weight of household goods.
What is considered pro-gear?
Services members are authorized: 2,000+ lbs. and spouses are authorized 500+ lbs.
Unaccompanied Baggage (UB)
This is an air freight shipment. These are the smaller household electronics, kitchen appliances and household goods you’ll want to have just as you move into your new home overseas.
It takes about 6 weeks to ship your UB and about 4-5 weeks to move into a house.
- Kitchen: Dishes, pots/pans, mixing bowls, casserole dish, cutting board, chopping knife, silverware, strainer, wine/beer opener, paper towels, plastic ware, cooking utensils, kitchen towels.
- Bath: Rugs, towels, washcloths, hand towels, workout towels, toilet paper, plastic shower curtains (keep cool air inside hall/bedrooms by hanging a shower curtain in the hall doorway).
- Bed: Pillows, sheets, air mattress, mattress cover, rugs, clothes, hangers.
- Other: Bicycle (a must for getting around easily) and gear, dual-voltage electronics (e.g. smaller TV & DVD player).
Before Arrival Topics
- First 31 PCS Start
- Getting Started
- Command Sponsorship
- EFMP Screening
- Passports & Visas
- Book Lodging
- Book Travel
- Traveling with Pets
- Shipping Household Goods
- Shipping Vehicle
- Set Up Overseas P.O. Box
- Child Care & Youth Programs Prep
- School Registration Prep
- Legal Services
- Cell Phones & Keeping in Touch
- Credit Cards