Traveling with pets requires a lot of pre-planning. Don’t forget to connect with your sponsors support if you need it. Just remember that everyone’s travel experience with pets is different.
Pets are a Privilege
We all love our pets like family, but remember that bringing pets to Italy is a privilege, not an entitlement. All costs associated with pet travel are at your expense.
Pet Travel Documentation
Traveling from other EU country
- Pet Passport & Health Certificate
Flying from United States
- 15-code microchip: Required for dogs and cats
- Rabies Vaccination: Must be administered more than 20 full days (but less than 12 months) before flying
- DD Form 2209: Dual-language health certificate from a military or USDA certified veterinarian. Must be dated within 10 days of arrival in Italy and in blue ink
Visit the USDA Pet Travel website for the most up to date health requirements.
TIP: A Leptospirosis vaccination is required for pets upon arrival in Italy. You can vaccinate your pet prior to arrival and then submit vaccination paperwork once in Italy.
Pet Travel & Restrictions
Breeds: Check with the airlines to see if for guidance related to any restrictions they may have.
Kennel (checked or cargo): Pets need airline-approved, hard cages with screw-bolt closures, breathing holes on all sides, room to stand up, turn around and lie down, water and food dishes.
- Visit International Air Transport Association for pet size and kennel requirements. Certain breeds/sizes require custom crates (~$250). Ensure connecting flights can handle pet crate size.
Temperature: Airlines won’t let pets travel as checked bag or cargo if it’s too hot/cold on flight day. Have a plan B.
Airports & Layovers: For layovers in other countries, know each country’s pet regulations before booking flights.
- Avoid layovers in UK as they quarantine pets.
- Large pets might not be able to fly to Venice (VCE, Marco Polo Airport).
- Ask CTO about flying into Verona, Italy or Milano Malpensa, Italy.
Animal Shippers: Based on breed/size, you may have to ship your pet separately (~$2000). See International Pet and Animal Transportation Association shippers.
Delta Airlines Pet Transportation Policy
Effective October 16, 2018
Delta Airlines has modified their policy on the transportation of live animals. During any time the animal will be in any station during transport, temperature will not exceed 80°F (27°C) or go below 20°F (-7°C). This includes the temperature at any time during travel (origin/transit/destination). Travelers are also limited to ONE connection if traveling with pets as checked baggage. This change applies to Delta and their partner airlines (Air France, Alitalia, KLM, Korean Air, Aeromexico, Virgin Atlantic, and Virgin Australia). There are no exceptions to their policies.
For additional information, please visit the Delta website.
Commercial Travel Office (CTO)
- Pre-Plan: The Contract Travel Office, (e.g. CWT, Sato Travel), does not book pet flights, but they can book you on a pet-friendly flight with a contracted airlines or another U.S. Flag Carrier (as required by Fly America Act). Research dates and U.S. Flag Carriers that can fly your pet:
- Use the City Pairs Search Tool to find the airline contracted to fly you to Venice (VCE). Stop by CTO to learn other possible U.S. Flag Carrier options.
- Research airline pet policies/military exceptions.
- Call the airline. Tell them you are on military orders and you want to check a pet. Write down flights and dates with available pet space.
- Visit CTO: Book flights with CTO after confirming the airline (and partner airlines) can fly your pet overseas. Bring pet-friendly flight options to CTO with: Pet breed, sex, age, cage dimensions and combined weight of pet with the cage.
Commercial airline doesn’t have pet space?
Ask CTO if other U.S. Flag Carriers have pet space
After CTO Visit
- Confirm Pet Flight: Call and reconfirm your pet’s reservation in the weeks/days before departure. Pet reservations can get lost easily.
- Flight Day: Arrive extra early to pay and check-in pets.
NOTE: Have a plan B (change flight or friend on standby) in case of a temperature embargo on flight day.
- Transportation from Airport in Italy to Post: Prearrange pet transport. If you arrive at an airport other than Venice (VCE), or if you arrive in VCE and your pet weighs over 3 kilograms (Approx. 6.6 pounds) or its cage does not fit on/between bus seats, pre-arrange pet transport.