All vehicles are registered through the 31st Security Forces Squadron Pass and Registration office. All personally owned vehicles and all government owned vehicles are assigned an AFI plate number to the vehicle. Each active duty member, logistically supported civilian, and contractor is permitted a maximum of 3 vehicle registrations per tour. The primary vehicle receives fuel rations and will not pay annual Italian road tax. Secondary vehicles are not authorized fuel rations and will pay annual Italian road tax. Annual renewal of your registration is also required to receive a new fuel card each year for your primary vehicle. The below procedures are for VPC shipments only. All other vehicle registrations will be done by appointment. Appointments can be booked by SharePoint or same-day walk-ins. Walk-in appointments are first-come first-serve.
9 Steps to Register your POV
- Vehicle Processing Center (VPC) Email
Once you’re notified by email that your vehicle has arrived establish your insurance policy and contact Pass and Registration. Your 302 customs form from VPC will be sent to the Pass and Registration office. Contact Pass and Registration at: 0434 30 4858 Contact VPC at: 0434 65 1106
- Establish Insurance Policies
You will need to cover your vehicle with a European coverage plan. There are 2 options available: USAA and GEICO.
• USAA will need: 1) Sponsor’s name 2) VIN, Year, Make, Model of vehicle
• Geico (Go to Geico office in Aviano)
- Power of Attorney (POA)
A POA is required when sponsor is not present. You may obtain a POA at your local legal office.
- Complete registration application/Schedule your appointment
Complete online application located on the 31 SFS Pass and Registration SharePoint utilizing CAC. In lieu of a SharePoint appointment, you may walk-in to complete the paper application.
- Proof of insurance is needed at the time the application is being filled out
- If you would like to register your vehicle as your primary vehicle, and the primary vehicle spot is already filled, the primary vehicle must be transferred to the secondary vehicle. Vehicle swap requirements
- Applications will take 24 to 48 hours to process
- You will receive an email or phone call when your application is complete and can return to Pass and Registration to pick up your new vehicle registration and plates
Bring 5 Euro for the initial registration fee when picking up vehicle registration and to cover plate fee. (Must be exact change)
- Vehicle Pickup/License Plate Installation
Return to the VPC to install cover plates and pick-up vehicle
- Vehicle Safety Inspection
Once you have received your vehicle immediately obtain a vehicle safety inspection. This is conducted at 31st LRS POV Inspection Tent hours: Noon to 4:00 p.m. It is in the green tent behind the commissary, on the same road as Outdoor Recreation.
- Vehicle registration & gas card
Return to Pass and Registration to submit your safety inspection form and pick-up Gas Card.
- NATO Forces Fuel Card
Take your Gas Card to the Area F AAFES BX to receive your NATO Forces Fuel Card in order to purchase tax-free fuel in the local economy.
NATO FORCES FUEL CARD
Automotive fuel (gasoline and diesel) is made available to Department of Defense (DoD) and NATO personnel in Italy on a tax-free basis at comparable rates to those in the U.S. The NATO Forces Fuel Card will provide more convenience to all personnel in Italy and will also help to eliminate fraud.
The card can only be utilized at ENI/AGIP gas stations in Italy and a list of all authorized gas stations can be found at www.stationfinder.eni.com
Monthly fuel rations for DoD and NATO personnel depend on the primary registered vehicle's engine size, engine base horsepower and fuel requirement. Your monthly tax-free fuel authorization ranges from 100 liters to 400 liters max for automobiles while rations for motorcycles may not exceed 200 liters. Consumption beyond the authorized ration or for an authorized fuel type will result in an automatic charge to the fuel card for the full product rate with all taxes included.
For more information, visit the NATO Force Fuel Card website at: bit.ly/NATOFuel